Our Monastery and Chapel


When the Rockford Diocese was established in September, 1908, Right Reverend Peter James Muldoon was appointed the first Bishop. Realizing the difficult work that lay before him and animated by his strong faith in the power of prayer, he desired to have a community of Poor Clares who would devote themselves to a life of prayer and penance for the welfare of the diocese. After repeated requests to Mother Mary Theresa of Cleveland for some Sisters to begin a foundation, the first two Poor Clares arrived in Rockford in March 1916.

For six months the sisters labored to set up a temporary monastic existence. Some of the outstanding circumstances that marked this early period of the history of our community were the hospitality of the good Franciscan Sisters of St. Anthony’s Hospital and the Dominican Sisters of St. Thomas’s High School during those first weeks; the kindness and fatherly interest of our beloved Bishop Muldoon; the motherly care and solicitude of Mother Mary Theresa and our dear community in Cleveland; the weeks of hard work while the residence on North Avon Street was being prepared for monastic life.

Finally, when all was ready, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered for the first time in the new little monastery on June 29 and the solemn blessing and dedication under the title of “Corpus Christi” took place on the feast of St. Clare, August 12, 1916. Soon the arrival of more Sisters . . .

Virtual Tour